"Mirror Image" (Poisoned Pen Press) now at your bookseller's.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Cohen and Farrell as Holmes and Watson??

Now I'm worried.
 
I just learned that Sasha Baron Cohen is going to play Sherlock Holmes in an upcoming film, assisted by Will Farrell as Dr. Watson. Hmmm.
 
Maybe it'll be funny, maybe it'll be...well, not so funny.
 
Not that I'm a stickler for high-minded seriousness when it comes to my favorite Baker Street duo. In fact, there was an underrated comedy some years back called Without A Clue, featuring Michael Caine as a totally clueless Holmes and Ben Kingsley as the brilliant though unheralded man behind the genius.
 
Plus, I'm a huge fan of Billy Wilder's Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. Beautifully directed, written and acted, with a real affection for the characters even as they were being gently sent up.
 
I even enjoyed Gene Wilder as Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (with the wonderful Leo McKern, of Rumpole fame, as Professor Moriarty).
 
Then there's a real gem, The Seven-Per-Cent Solution, with a screenplay by Nick Meyer, based on his best-selling novel of the same name. Again, distinguished by a wonderful cast and beautiful production values. With the unlikely but terrific team of Nicol Williamson and Robert Duvall as Holmes and Watson.
 
Now we have Sasha Baron Cohen and Will Farrell. Am I wrong to be worried about this pairing?  Why can't I get my mind around the idea?
 
If you get a second, let me know what you think.
 
 




Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.

No comments: