"Mirror Image" (Poisoned Pen Press) now at your bookseller's.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Quotes For Writers---And Those Who Love Them!

Over the years, I've collected some terrific quotes about writers and writing. Words to live by, as you navigate the perils and promise of the writing life. Here are some of my favorites:


"There is only one type of story in the world---your story." Ray Bradbury


"How do I work? I grope." Albert Einstein


"Good dialogue is not real speech--it's the illusion of real speech." Ernest Hemingway


"In the beginner's mind, there are many opportunities; in the expert's mind, there are few." Shunryu Suzuki


"All serious daring starts from within." Eudora Welty


"To believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men---that is genius." Ralph Waldo Emerson


"Fiction reveals what reality obscures." Jessamyn West


"I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o'clock every morning." Peter De Vries


"(Bad) writing is not easier than good writing. It's just as hard to make a toilet seat as it is a castle window. Only the view is different." Ben Hecht


"I have known happiness, for I have done good work." Robert Louis Stevenson


"Traveler, there is no path. Paths are made by walking." Antonio Machado


"I yam what I yam." Popeye the sailor

----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's a pretty good list---for a start. If you have any particular favorite quotes about writing, the writing life, or creativity in general, feel free to let me know.

1 comment:

Jim Hanley said...

"80% of success is showing up."
-- Woody Allen

"Luck is the tag, given by the mediocre, to account for the accomplishments of genius."
-- Robert Anson Heinlein

"To be matter of fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."
-- Robert Anson Heinlein

"Everyone has a talent, what is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads."
-- Erica Jong

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
-- Theodore Roosevelt